Off to Malta
This is a genuine, original Smiths Chronometric Speedometer, S433/1/L, from the 1940’s and early / mid 1950’s.
It is an 80 MPH speedo with the speed indicator rolling around the lower section as the speed rises. It is 3 inches in diameter with a trip return on the side, and a light unit which screws in on the back. I believe the ratio will be 1600 turns = one mile or equivalent in kilometres.
Condition: I have not tested this in a motorcycle. It does move when I use a drill on slow speed. It’s a very nice used speedo. The chrome bezel is in good condition. I didn’t fit is as new, but it is very nice. The main body has a few marks but nothing significant. Bear in mind that this is an original speedometer and is at least 70 years old. The face and numbers are clean but have just the right amount of original patina.
It will likely suit many British bikes from the post-war period from 1946 to 1955. I hear that the BSA C10, C11, C12 etc had these.
Below is a list of bikes that this Smiths Chronometric Speedometer, # S433/1/L, fitted in 1954 / 1955. (It will also suit earlier bikes)
- AJS 16M 350cc OHV Rigid frame 1954
- AJS 16MC (Competition) 350cc OHV Rigid frame 1954
- AJS 18 500cc OHV Rigid Frame 1954
- BSA C11G 250cc OHV Rigid Frame 3 speed 1954
- BSA C11G 250cc OHV Rigid Frame 3 speed 1954/55
- BSA C11G 250cc OHV Spring Frame 3 speed 1954
- BSA C11G 250cc OHV Spring Frame 3 speed 1954/55
- BSA C11G 250cc OHV Spring Frame 4 speed 1954/55
- Greeves 32D 322cc Fleet Master Deluxe Twin 1955
- Matchless G3L 350cc OHV Single 1954
- Matchless G9 500cc OHV Twin 1954
- Matchless G80 500cc Twin 1954
- Matchless G80S 500cc Twin 1954
As always, when buying your parts, please make sure that this is the part that you need before you go ahead. I have provided information based on my own catalogues, but this speedometer might suit other motorcycles.
Other Speedometers: I have some. Please get in touch.
- International shipping available. Please ask.
- Combined shipping available if you buy other parts.
- I usually ship to most destinations. If you don’t see a price, please ask. Shipping is in addition to the listed price for the item.
Viewing: Please come and check it over before you buy. It is at PE28, near St Ives in Cambridgeshire.
Collection: If you don’t want it shipped, I have plenty of space. If you can’t collect for a while, it’s not a problem. However, I will need to be paid very soon after the sale. Thanks.
Payment: This site has a facility to pay online. Good old fashioned money on collection is preferred. I can accept payment through PayPal or by bank transfer as well.
Import Taxes: Please note that IMPORT DUTIES are not something I can control. If you are buying from outside the UK, there is a chance that you will have to pay import taxes. Import taxes vary from country to country. If there are charges to pay, it is the buyer’s responsibility to research the cost and pay the duties. The price that you see on my advert is for the item and not the item plus whatever taxes might be due.